ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Commerce was started in the academic year 1983-84. With the strong leadership of Dr. K.V. Suresh, Prof. Umesha, Dr. Honnappa, Prof. S Linganna and other senior Professors. B.Com Course started with 15 students. Ever since its inception, the Department has made great studies. Now it is the biggest Department in the college with highly qualified teachers.
Department has been making all efforts to bring out the best students of national standard. Needless to say that the department has been doing well with the active participation and performance of the faculty members.
“Transformation of stakeholder’s aspirations into reality through business education”
- Industry-institution tie up for customized business education
- Imparting skill oriented business education
- Expanding the horizon of business education through field work and seminar.
OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT
Educational institutions, being deliberate and purposive creations are created for the fulfillment of fundamental goals of education i.e., Character building through values, which forms the foundation for any harmonious society:
The main objectives of our department are:
- To provide cutting edge knowledge and professional skills in commerce.
- To offer viable carrier oriented courses in the field of Commerce.
- To impart skills in information processing to meet the demand of a competitive world
- Large department in terms of number of students and faculty members.
- Updated and Dedicated Teachers.
- The Department is organizing Special Lecture Programmes.
- E-Commerce COC Programme.
- Sensitive to Emerging Issues.
- Paper presentation and Group Discussion on emerging issues in the field of Commerce and Industries.
- Organizing Industrial Trips.
- Students are poor in soft and communication skill
- Limited Industrial Academic Interaction.
- Limited corporate exposure to the students.
- Rural students with poor economic status.
- Guidance about opportunities in the field of Corporate world.
- Awareness about Board Exams namely, ICAI, ICSI, ICWA., etc,.
- To introduce Post Graduate Courses (M.Com or MBA).
- Students from Rural area having poor knowledge of English Language and Soft Skill.
- Competition from nearby Government First Grade Colleges.
- Limited exposure to Corporate Standards.
- Up gradation of non-commerce students to the Commerce Stream.
|1||Mariswamy T M||Assistant Professor & HOD||M.Com., M.Phil.|
|2||Jeevitha G S||Assistant Professor||MBA, M.Com., KSET|
|3||Manikanta C M||Assistant Professor||M.Com., PGDFM., PGDBA , KSET, (Ph.D)|
|4||Sowmya K||Assistant Professor||M.Com, B.Ed|
|5||Nandini P M||Assistant Professor||M Com, KSET, (Ph.D)|
ACHIEVEMENT AND CONTRIBUTION OF FACULTY MEMBERS
1) Sri. T M MARISWAMY
Assistant Professor and HOD
T M MARISWAMY is one of the senior faculty members with 29 Years of teaching experience. He has worked as NSS Officer at JSS College for woman (Autonomous) Saraswatipuram, Mysore.
He served as Chairman of BOE of Management, JSS College for woman (Autonomous) Saraswatipuram, Mysore, and also served as member of BOE in Commerce at JSS College for Science, Arts and Commerce (Autonomous), Mysore. In addition, he also worked as paper setter for University of Mysore, JSS College for women (Autonomous) Saraswatipuram, Mysore and JSS College for Science, Arta and Commerce (Autonomous) Mysore. He has served as Nodal Officer for Youth Red Cross Committee at JSS College for Science, Arts and Commerce (Autonomous) Mysore. Apart from, he also actively participated in many workshops, seminars and Conferences.
He completed M.Phil Degree during the year 2009 in MADHURAI KAMARAJ UNIVERSITY. Topic Entitled, “Socio-economic Profile of Entrepreneurship in SSI Sector : A Case Study of Mysore City”.
He has attended many National and State level Conferences and presented papers. He has been actively involved in the departmental activities such as conferences, workshops, and others. He has been involved in Students union, sports activities. He worked as Organizing Secretary in State Level Seminar on “Micro Finance: Issues and Challenges” held on 29/03/2016 by the Dept. of Commerce in our College.
From 2014 to 2019 he has worked as IQAC Coordinator and Nodal Officer for YRC in the College.
2) JEEVITHA G S
Jeevitha G.S has been actively involved in the Departmental activities Such as Organizing Seminars and Special Lecture Programmes. She is a Coordinator of UBA, Election Committee; Parents Meeting Committee and Women Harassment & Prevention Cell. She is a member of Cultural & Sports Committee, Alumni Committee Youth Red Cross Cell and other committees of the college. She has worked as NSS Programme Officer at JSS College for woman (Autonomous) Saraswatipuram, Mysore. Also working as Evaluator in the Board of Commerce at UOM.
3) Manikanta C.M
Manikanta CM has been actively involved in the Departmental activities Such as Organizing Seminars and Special Lecture Programmer’s. He is a member of Parents Meeting Committee, Cultural & Sports Committee. He is also involved in NSS Camp. He is also working as a Convener to Competitive Examination Training Cell. He is Pursuing Ph.D in University of Mysore. Also working as Evaluator in the Board of Commerce at UOM.
4) Sowmya K
Sowmya K has been actively involved in the Departmental activities Such as Organizing Seminars and Special Lecture Programmes. She is a member of Test Committee, Women Harassment & Prevention Cell & other Committees of the college. She is a coordinator of Rangers Unit of Scouts and Guides. Also working as Evaluator in the Board of Commerce at UOM.
5) Nandini P M
Nandini P.M joined the department 02 years ago. She is pursuing her Ph.D in University of Mysore. She has been actively participating in departmental activities.
ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
Departmental Staff meeting:
Twice in each semester the staff meeting will held to discuss various academic issues in regard to the following matters:
- Discussion about organizing orientation programme for new entrants
- Discussion about workload and its distribution among staff.
- Preparation of time table of the Department.
- Selection of topics for Student seminars and group discussions.
- To conduct Special lecture Programmes, Workshops and Seminars
- Preparation of subject-wise question papers for conducting Internal Assessment test.
- Evaluation of internal assessment.
- Conducting Remedial and Bridge Course classes.
|12th August 2022||CHAMUL Milk Dairy||Kuderu Chamarajanagar|
Continuous Evaluation of Student’s
Constantly efforts are made to evaluate the academic performance and progress of the students through: –
- Regular class test
- Assignments and skill developments
- Group discussion & quiz competition
- Student Seminar
- Open Book Test
Role of the Department in Motivating the Students.
- Felicitation of toppers in commerce subjects
- Conducting Bridge Course and Remedial classes
- Encourage students to take part in sports, N.C.C., N.S.S., Youth Red Cross and Scouts and Guides
- Encourage the Students to take part in Cultural Programs
- Encourage the Students to become Self employed
The department envisages the following plan for the next five years.
- Introduction of M.Com (PG) Course.
- Introduction of BBA Course.
- Introduction of diploma in HRM, Marketing, Finance and Taxation as certificate course.
- To organize the National and State level seminars/workshops
- To organize Commerce and Management fest at inter-collegiate level.